Monday, August 31, 2009

A Busy Saturday

Guess what we did on Saturday? Yep, finally got our tomato juice made.

Chris and Patti came over at about 9am. After about half an hour of "discussing" what we were going to do, we got started. We were all smiles here, thinking we would be done in a couple of hours.

Brian and Chris ran all the tomatoes through grinders first.

This was Chris's first time with any canning experience. Here he is running the cooked tomatoes through that funnel thing with the holes in it. (I don't know the name of it)

Don't they look good hard at work? Patti and I really did help, honest.

Now this is a "man's" way of canning. No stovetop for them.

We decided to make salsa too. Brian went and got onions from the garden and here he is grinding them up too. You can't tell in the picture but those onions were kicking his butt!

Why are there so many dirty dishes? I think we ran through 20 sink loads of slimy tomatoey dishes.

Since we just weren't busy enough, let's make dilly beans too!

In between batches Patti made Chris a birthday cake. Kylee helped as usual. Here they are being silly with the cool whip.

Did I mention the mess?

Finally, taking a break while the last couple batches are boiling.

Here's how Patti felt about the whole day.

Finally done......8 hours later. Time for some relaxation.



11 comments:

  1. Wow...that is a lot of work, but the finished products look great! YUM. My mom loves to can too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back memories of canning for a family of ten!!What a good feeling to see all those jars in the storage, waiting to warm you up on a cold winter day. Oh, yeah, and healthy- no preservatives!!!I am proud of my girls and their hubbies!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the space. I also love it when my husband and family help.

    YYI--Its called a collander:)

    Have a great day. YOu'll enjoy the fruits of your labor all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm impressed! That's a lot of tomatoes! Woah...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The campstove is the only way to can. I've been using one the last three years and it saves tons of time. How many quarts of tomato juice did you end up with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was a lot of canning! Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I needed THAT crew this weekend.... though my mama is like having about three extra people.

    And she didn't even let me wash the dishes...

    Ahhh, mama's...

    Thanks for the encouraging word today. It really lifted my spirits and I so appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's a lot of matoes!!! You and your hubby are just beautiful! Thanks for stopping by and joining up with me...it will be good getting to 'know' you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is quite the group effort! Definitely the way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! Enjoy all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...busy, but fun day! Never have canned before...looks yummy though!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar........

Sprinkler Fun

 What do we do on hot summer days without a pool?  We get out the sprinkler and have some fun!         ...