Thursday, February 26, 2009

From Old to New

A few months ago while doing some painting and upkeep at our church, we came across this piano. It was in the basement, totally unloved. Pastor asked me if we could get it out of there and haul it to the garbage. The garbage! I immediately said I would take it off his hands. I have been looking for one for a long time, with no luck. But it didn't look like this when I got it. It was so old the finish was black and sticky, not very attrative. Brian is the antique lover in our home but this was my baby. We took it to a friend of ours who refinishes furniture. It only took her a week or so and it was finished. She didn't stain it, this is the actual color of the wood. Now it has a brand new life for another 100 years or so. The keys need to be redone. The plastic covers on them are broken and yucky. I have been meaning to get at that project. I am just not sure how to do it. Has anyone ever done this before? And of course the last thing......I would like to learn to play it. Lessons anyone?
The chairs on either side of the piano are from a military base long ago. I am not sure of the year. They have also been refinished. I know some of you are screaming at me for refinishing this old furniture. I love the architecture of old furniture, not the yucky finishes. Sorry.
Side note: I really need to replace that shiny white tile. Who puts in shiny white tile? I guess me. 12 years ago when we built this house. Boy how one's tastes change.

There are old pictures on top of the piano. I love old pictures of family. Here is a picture of Brian's Dad. Quite a dapper young man!

And here is my favorite picture of Brian as a little boy. I think it is totally adorable.

2 comments:

  1. The piano is beautiful! Thanks for rescuing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any more free deals like this you keep me in mind. I don't have room in my house for a piano but I'd throw something else out to make it fit. Even though I took 6 years of lessons and the only thing I can remember is chopsticks. :) It look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar........

Sprinkler Fun

 What do we do on hot summer days without a pool?  We get out the sprinkler and have some fun!         ...