Thursday, February 4, 2010

Not Such a Good Day

We had quite an exhausting day yesterday. It started out with Tracy calling me in the morning because Felicity was having a hard time breathing. She had been sick the last couple days and had a restless night the night before. I could hear her struggling to breathe over the phone. It really scared me. Tracy called the nurse and she could hear her over the phone too and said to bring her in ASAP! We took off for the hour ride to the hospital. It got scary a couple times on the ride there when she would gasp for air. That was tough to put it mildly.

When we got there they immediately took us to a room and started her on a nebulizer. (I have no idea how to spell that) She didn't like it and cried through the whole thing. By the time that was done she was breathing a little better. Then they gave her an oral steroid and sent us to a room for observation. She finally fell asleep for about an hour. We sat in that "tiny" room for 5 hours! With an 18 month old! Yikes, that wasn't very fun. Then the doctor came in and said they wanted to admit her to the hospital because she wasn't improving like they wanted.

We were finally moved to a room at about 5:30. By that time, she was actually feeling a bit better. In the next couple hours she improved tremendously. She kept going to the door with her blanket and saying "ride". She wanted to leave that place.

At about 9pm the doctor came in and explained that we could leave if we felt comfortable taking her home. We did. She fell asleep immediately in the car, slept all the way home, and never moved while we took her into the house.

I don't have any pictures from the day's events so that's why you get one from a couple days ago. What did she have you ask? Croup. They told us she is just such a tiny girl that she doesn't have any extra room in her throat for all that swelling.

Tracy called this morning and Felicity slept through the night with no problems.

Thanks be to God.

29 comments:

  1. I know it must have scared you guys to death!

    My son kept the croup when he was younger. Next time try taking her out in the cool night air or standing with the freezer door open and let her breath in the cool air....trust me ...it works! We spent several cool nights playing out under the car port:O)

    Oh, and the warmer she gets the worse it makes it.

    Glad she is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that is scary! An hour to the hospital, yikes! Glad they helped her feel better and she is doing better.
    I will keep her in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...that's scary stuff! Bless her heart...so happy to know that she's doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad she's getting some releif! And glad to read something differant than what I expected! Hope she continues to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad she is doing better today. So scary though. Trish is right, when Jenn was little and she got asthma attacks, they told us to open the freezer door and have her breathe in the cold air. It did make it better. However, sounds like she was past that point. Take care and all of you get some rest....sounds like you probably all need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, POOR LITTLE THING! I HATE THAT TO HAPPEN, IT IS SCARY! MY DAUGHTER HAD ASTHMA FROM THE TIME SHE WAS A TINY BABY IN MY LAP, USED TO SCARE ME TO DEATH! COME SAY HI :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO hard on everyone involved!!! It just scares you to death when little ones are sick. So happy to read that she is feeling better...and all smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That croup is some scary stuff. And, just sitting at a hospital is very tiring. Thank the Lord is right and I hope she continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor thing.... Adam had that at 1 year, him and I got an ambulance screaming 45 minute ride to the hospital with John following behind not knowing what was happening. He spent 5 days in the hospital in a tent and we couldn't touch him. He never got it again but that time was enough to last a lifetime.

    XOXOXO to her

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though this was a scary experience for you, that's neat that you were able to be there for your daughter. I'm sure she appreciates having you walk beside her with this. Glad to hear Felicity is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So frightening when they are so tiny. Glad to hear all is well now.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so scary! I'm glad she's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor baby girl! Poor mommy. I'm so sorry all three of you had to deal with that. Praise God He is able and faithful through those trying situations. Hopefully you ALL got good rest that night. With an 18 month little girl around I'm sure it was needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So scary. My daughter seem to get croup all the time and it scares me to death. I had to take her to the ER once around 18 months old too...It was sad. So glad she is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. o ya'll poor things how scary I am glad she is doing better

    hugs

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad she is feeling better! What a scary time for all of you. Hope you all get a good nights sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how scary...I am glad that she is OK...WoW... ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is NO good. Pia has asthma and I've had those days/nights, too. I am so, so glad she is feeling better. I know your heart feels better, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad she is better. My littel brother used to get it all the time. I was very scary. Hopefully all will be able to rest now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad she is doing better!!

    Hope you have a good weekend. Come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That would have scared the daylights out of me. I was so worried reading your post. I'm glad she's feeling better. Poor thing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. yes thanks be to God!! I know you were scared to death and your stomach was doing terrible things. I am so glad that it is over for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad things turned out well and your beautiful Felicity is doing better.

    Blessings

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I just hate it when little one's get so sick! The worry is horrible and you just want to do something yet feel so helpless! I've been going through that with Katie and she's 15! I hardly slept at all last night.
    At least when they are so little, they usually heal and get well in a flash! Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww...poor little thing.....
    Here's a tip I learned from our one trip to the ER with croup--and not that it will help now, and probably certainly not with as bad of a situation as what y'all had, but probably if it was in the beginning stages of croup......they told me to open the freezer door and hold him in front of the cold air blowing out of it.......something to do with the cold air and the throat not swelling as bad. A family doctor, who is a cousin of ours, said that would work OR to put them in the bathroom while someone is taking a steamy shower.......

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poor thing! I'm glad that she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Poor baby! I'm so glad she's doing better. I've heard of SO many kids coming down with croup this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh man! Croup is the worst! When my boys get sick I have to pay very close attention to what kind of cough they get. Asthma or Croup! Asthma seems to be a little easier to treat at home.
    BTW, I think you spelled nebulizer right! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar........

Sprinkler Fun

 What do we do on hot summer days without a pool?  We get out the sprinkler and have some fun!         ...