Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Little History and a Repaired Heart

 For those of you that don't know my background, I grew up on a dairy farm here in Wisconsin. About 15 years ago my parents sold the farm and moved into the city. They were ready for a  more carefree life away from all the chores of the farm.

My husband and I now own 100 acres of that land. We built a small ranch house and now call this home. When each of our children got married we gave them 5 acres. They have also built homes on their little piece of the family land.

The tractor in these pictures was once my Dad's. It was one of his first tractors from soooo many years ago. When  they sold the farm he gave the tractor to us. Brian had it totally restored, tires and all.

A few weeks ago when my Dad and Mom were over Brian got the tractor out. He convinced my Dad to get on it and take it for a drive. He hasn't driven a tractor for many years but he sure didn't have any trouble remembering how to do it.

Whenever Dad comes out to visit he talks a lot about his farming days. Making hay, chasing cows, and driving tractors. Then he says he dreams about those things at night when he goes home. He is usually chasing cows in his sleep for a few days after a visit.


Now that you know a little history I can fill you in on the last few days around here and why I've been so absent in the blog world.  I am going to make a long story short.


Dad was having some dizzy spells in church on Sunday. As soon as service was done my Mom took him to the ER. After an ambulance ride to a bigger hospital, and a couple days of testing, he had surgery on his heart yesterday. Today he is doing much better and is going home tomorrow.


(that was a very condensed version of the past few days)

 He said now he's ready for another 100 years!


Thank you to everyone that has been praying for Dad and thanks be to God.

17 comments:

  1. Julie, I think it's wonderful you all are living on the farm and your whole family is so close (but not too close for comfort!) I didn't know about your Dad. I am so glad he is recovering. I know how scary those moments can be. This Father's Day will be extra special for all of you. God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those darn Emmerich brothers and their hearts. I hope he learned from his older brother just how quickly he can recover and be back on his feet. I have to giggle thinking about the smart comments those nurses are probably hearing from him, my dad gives them such a hard time and your dad is a more of a jokester. Tell him this "brat" or "his other daughter" is sending many prayers his way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless his heart...really..and may he have as many years as he wants! That could have been worse, so glad they got him fixed up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your dad is doing better. Prayers are still with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before, but I think it's really neat you live so close to your children and grandchildren. It's wonderful that your grandkids have you as a daily part of their lives. Glad your Father made it through surgery okay. That must have been scary. Hope he continues to improve. Thanks for sharing what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you all have had quite the week! I'm so glad your dad is okay~Thank God! Love the tractor pics~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so thankful your dad is doing better. What a HUGE blessing.

    I had always wondered what your 100 acres story was. That too is just fun. Your family is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! & amen! God is still in the business of healing! That is awesome. your dad looks great on that tractor. Love that story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for what your daddy had to go through, but so thankul that he's doing alright now...what a BLESSING! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story about him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful story with an even better ending... Love the pictures of your dad next to the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow sure didn't know this!! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a scare with your Dad. I'm so glad he's doing better!

    Great pictures of him. I think that is just wonderful. That's so nice he has such wonderful memories of great times on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I grew up on a farm too...and have so many wonderful memories...of course at the time I didn't really appreciate it. So do miss the farm now! I just recently went through some very scary health issues with my mom, prayers to your dad and your family! I am so gald to still have my mom, and so do miss my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear that your Dad! I am so glad that he is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. prayers for your dad.

    Love that picture and all the memories it holds for you.

    Hope you had a beautiful Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the background story! Somehow I missed this post but I noticed you hadn't been around as much. Praying that your dad has a complete and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad your dad is o.k. - and what a wonderful back story. I love how a past like yours weaves into your present and your children's future! Simply Beautiful. Hope you have recouperated!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar........

Sprinkler Fun

 What do we do on hot summer days without a pool?  We get out the sprinkler and have some fun!         ...